Today was a good day for soup, this one is fresh, low fat, flavorful and healthy.
1 chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds), cut up and skinned
1 onion quartered
2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
1 inch piece of ginger , peeled and finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, smashed
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 stalk lemongrass, cut into thirds and smashed
3 birds eye chili’s
2 limes, cut in half
3 kaffir lime leaves
2 tsp. fish sauce
2 Tbsp GF soy sauce
1/2 pound dried rice noodles
1 bunch fresh spinach, washed
1 cup cilantro
Thai hot chili sauce (Thai ketchup)
1. Place the chicken pieces in a large heavy soup pot and cover with cold water, bring to simmer.
2. Skim off any foam and add the quartered onion, smashed garlic, sliced ginger, peppercorns, salt and one piece of the smashed lemongrass. Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer for 40 minutes.
3. Skim any fat, remove the chicken pieces from the broth and allow to cool.
4. Strain the broth several times until it runs clear.
5. Coarsely shred the chicken and discard any bones or skin.
6. Refrigerate the broth and the chicken separately for 3 hours.
7. Remove any fat from broth
To make the soup-
8. Remove chicken and broth from fridge, bring the broth to a simmer and add chopped garlic, chopped ginger, lemongrass, soy sauce, fish sauce, fresh squeezed lime juice, kaffir lime leaves and birds eye chili’s. Salt to taste. Remove lime leaves and lemongrass before serving.
9. Cook rice noodles according to package instructions. Rinse with cold water and drain.
10. Just before serving, add the spinach to the simmering soup. Distribute noodles and chicken into serving bowls, ladle the simmering broth with spinach over top. Dress with fresh cilantro, fresh squeezed lime and adjust taste with Thai hot chili sauce (Thai ketchup)