Ingredients for Chicken Teriyaki
3 or 4 chicken thighs (bone-in, skin-on)
ground black pepper
1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce
1/4 cup sucanat
1/4 tsp. finely diced fresh ginger
1 garlic clove (pressed)
1 Tbsp. mirin
1/4 tsp. cornstarch
Directions for chicken Teriyaki:
1. trim excess skin and fat from chicken thigh, leaving enough skin to cover meat. use a sharp knife to separate the meat completely from the bone and discard bone. cut three slashes into the skin diagonally being careful not to cut into the meat. tuck the meat under the skin and arrange thighs on broiling pan. squish them a bit to get even thickness.
2. season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
3. position the broiling pan under the broiler (we use our toaster oven/broiler for this purpose).
4. broil until skin is crisp and golden brown and the thickest parts of the thighs read around 175ish (maybe a little less) with an instant read thermometer. About 20 minutes.
5. while the chicken is cooking, combine the wheat free soy sauce, sucanat, ginger and garlic in a small sauce pan. stir together the mirin and cornstarch in a small bowl until all the lumps are gone. Stir mirin mixture into the saucepan. Bring sauce to a boil over med/high heat, stirring occasionally. reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has reduced to about 1/3 cup and has a syrupy consistency.
6. let chicken rest on cutting board for 2 minutes. cut the meat crosswise into 1/2 inch wide strips. serve on a bed of brown jasmine rice and stir fry vegetables. drizzle teriyaki sauce (to taste) over chicken and stir fry before serving.
Vegetable Stir Fry Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. macadamia nut or other organic high heat oil
1 small onion chopped
3 cloves garlic (pressed)
2 Tbsp. gluten free soy sauce
1 carrot sliced into strips
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 cups mixed shitake and white mushrooms (trimmed and sliced)
1-2 cups broccoli florets
1 small red pepper diced
1 small green pepper diced
1 jalapeno pepper- chopped small
1 cup sugar snap peas washed and trimmed
1 cup radicchio outside leaves removed, washed and sliced
2 cups bean sprouts
1 tsp. cornstarch stirred into 1/2 cup water
Directions for vegetable stir fry:
1. heat oil in a wok on high heat
add chopped onion, garlic, minced ginger and sliced carrot. stir occasionally for a few minutes.
2. add mushrooms, soy sauce broccoli and peppers.
3. cook until broccoli is cooked and softened, pour in cornstarch mixture and stir entire wok contents around. reduce for a minute or so
4. add Radicchio, bean sprouts and snap peas. stir and serve over bed of rice; with Teriyaki chicken.