This is a great choice for a light weight but satisfying meal to carry in your pack. Make it the night before, freeze it in a ziplock and serve it up the next evening in camp with a warm corn tortilla and fresh avocado & salsa!
1 tomato, diced
1/4 red onion, chopped
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can green chilies, drained
1/2 can of corn, drained
1/2 jalapeño, diced
salt & pepper to taste
1. Dice tomatoes, jalapeño and chop onion. Open and drain cans of chiles, beans and corn. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Season with Salt and Pepper to taste.
3. Spoon into large ziplock bags, remove air, fold and double bag. Freeze overnight. By the time you go to eat dinner the next evening, your meal will be thawed but not spoiled (and it won’t have spilled out into your pack either!).
4. Serve with fresh avocado and some premade salsa inside some warmed tortilla’s.
5. If you wish to make this for a meal at home, you can add chopped lettuce (and even grated cheese if you eat cheese). (Skip the freezing part of course).