Yes! Finally! A giant gluten free bake sale! in Calgary. Best part- all proceeds to Charity (celiac program at The Calgary Food Bank)
We have all your favorite Food bloggers and some famous Calgary pastry chefs participating. visit our facebook page for more info
Want to participate? contact me by Friday. We have generous sponsorship from Amaranth Foods if you need financial help to participate.
First you need to make your own Jerk Spice Mix-
Jamaican jerk seasoning-
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
I finished my spice mix off with a quick grind in a mortar & pestle
3 Teaspoon Jerk seasoning
2 large chicken breasts sliced into strips
2 cups of shredded cabbage (add shredded carrot if you have it)
1/4 cup red onion sliced thin
handful of fresh cilantro
1/3 cup mayonnaise
fresh ground pepper
fresh corn tortillas
1. Slice your chicken breast into 1 1/2 inch slices and rub to cover with some of your divided spices.
2. Heat some canola oil in a cast iron pan and cook your chicken, sprinkle more Jerk Spice on if you like it spicy! Preheat your tortilla’s while cooking the chicken
3. While the chicken cooks- make a quick slaw with your thinly sliced or shredded cabbage and carrots by tossing with oil and lime juice and seasoning, and make your aioli by adding a couple teaspoons Jerk spice and mix well.
4. Assemble your tacos with the slaw first, then chicken , then add some cilantro and aioli. Serve with lime wedges.
I ate this for lunch. It only looks completely decadent. In actual fact it’s just fruit, dates and nuts. Ok, with a bit of maple syrup.
Banana Ice Cream-
Ingredients- 2 banana’s sliced into medallions and frozen for 2 hours in freezer. (use a silicon plate for this so you can pop them off)
1. Throw your frozen banana’s into the food processor and whir until smooth like ice cream. wait- it is ice cream. I swear.
2. Remove to container and return to freezer for harder ice cream.
Maple peanut butter syrup-
1. In a small sauce pan on low heat melt 1/4 cup maple syrup into 2 Tbsp melted natural peanut butter. Stir most frequently until reduced but still runny. Pour on ice cream.
Raw date medallions-
3/4 cup raw pitted dates
1/4 cup raisins
2 Tbsp natural crunchy peanut butter
1 Tbsp organic raspberry jelly
4g slivered almonds
1/2 cup oats
raw coconut flakes and toasted almond slivers for garnish
1. Put it all in the food processor and whir until it is fully combined.
2. Roll into balls, sprinkle coconut and slivered almonds on a sheet of wax paper. Use another sheet of wax paper on top of balls, press down on top wax sheet with an even hand and a heavy plate. Use a shot glass to cut your new raw date rounds into tiny medallions. Use tiny bits of creamed honey as glue on a toothpick to garnish with more toasted almonds.
Put ice cream in a bowl, pour syrup over top, add some raw cookie medallions and sprinkle with toasted almonds. This entire serving of fruits, nuts and delicious goodness was about 400 calories total. All good for you.